Giclée Printing in Detail
We are not an automated online print company. Over the last 15 years we have found that our artist and photographic customers want to be assured that attention is being paid to their prints, which may require an email exchange or a phone call. We won’t ‘just print’ what we get. We’ll get in touch if anything looks incorrect. Typically issues around dots per inch and sizing can confuse at first – and we’re very experienced at helping clarify any apparent complexities!
If you are interested in producing giclée prints, by all means you can give us a call to discuss on 01858 450321. A phone conversation can clarify a lot of things and save a few email essays!
For us to print we will need a digital file of the artwork, this could be a scan or digital photograph. If you only have ‘original artwork, then please get in touch as we can provide this service, or advise you on how best to achieve this.
The process (an overview)
- First we’ll need the digital file(s) that you want us to print from. See below for ways to send us these.
- Next just email us your requirement in terms of sizes, quantities and paper choice.
- We’ll open your files and check for any problems with resolution and size or any obvious colour issues. If we’ve any concerns we’ll drop you an email.
- Once we’re all happy we will produce your prints (normally within 24 hours).
- We’ll individually check each print and notify you that they are ready.
- All the prints are wrapped in acid-free tissue and can be posted to you (or your customer) in very strong 4″ core art tubes, or can be shipped flat (which is a little more costly). If you are local, obviously you can collect from us.
- We retain a master copy of your print file, so all you need to do is let us know if you want any further reprints. Our systems are fully calibrated, so they will match!
Over the years we have fine tuned the papers we supply to offer a sensible range of reliable quality print papers that are consistent in their reproduction.
- Hahnemühle German Etching: 308 GSM texture100% cellulose
- Hahnemühle Photo Rag: 300 GSM smooth matt 100% cotton rag
- Expression Textured: 300 GSM embossed textured 100% cellulose
- Expressions Smooth: 300 GSM lightweight smooth matt 100% cotton rag
- Antique White: 210 GSM smooth cream matt paper
- Satin: 270 GSM vibrant pearl/satin photograpic paper
Please contact us for more details.
Two elements effect the pricing – size and paper type.
Sizes: We are not restriced to any preset paper sizes. All prints are hand trimmed so you can order prints of any dimensions. Our pricing is based on the square area of your printed image – a simple height x width calculation. In most cases we will add an appropriate white border to your print – this is without any additional cost.
We don’t currently publish a price list on our website, but as guide, (and using standard paper sizes just for reference), A4 prints range from £5.05 to £9.83 depending on paper type, with an A3 print ranging between £7.26 and £19.66.
We offer different dicount bands on print runs in excess of 25.
Obvioulsy if you are local to us you can collect direct from our workshops. We ship throught the UK mainland either to you, or to your cutsomer.
Our preferred method of packing prints is via tubes. We only use strong 4″ core tubes and all pieces are tissue wrapped to allow them to sit comfortably within the tube. The paper actually comes to us on 3″ rolls, so they are only being rolled looser than how they are manufactured and stored. We charge £5.00 to supply and pack per tube, plus despatch at cost.
For larger quantities, or by request, we will ship the prints flat. Please contact us for an exact price (couriers don’t like shipping big flat boxes!)
The Technical Bits!
For giclée printing you should save your files in RGB format. We can process most file types, our preferences are:
- .PSD (flattened, i.e. no layers)
Sending us your files
- Via email: You can send files up to 100Mb to our order email address of email@example.com
- Via WeTransfer: Our preferred way to receive your files is via our commercial WeTransfer service https://ontheedge.wetransfer.com. This will allow you to send files of almost any size and has the added advantage of letting you know via email when we succefully download your images. It’s very straightforward to use, just use firstname.lastname@example.org as the ‘send to’ address.
If you are familiar with the technical aspects of print, here are a few details and specifications.
- Files should be supplied at 300dpi
- Colour space. Adobe RGB (1998)
- We print on Canon Image Graf 4100-Pro printers
- 12 Ink system, using only genuine Lucia Pro pigmant inks
Don’t worry if none of this bit makes sense, we can guide you through it.
We are a registered participant of the Fine Art Trade Guild ‘Art Sure’ scheme. This was setup to distinguish professional art printers from general day-to-day printers and offers a guarantee of quality.